Friday 28 December 2012

31 Day Nail Challenge: Week 16 - Tribal Print

Sorry for the delay of this weeks post, I've been so busy I haven't stopped! I hope you'll let me off what with it being Christmas and all!

I can't say I was looking forward to the Tribal Print challenge. I don't think I have once looked at a tribal design and decided to recreate it on my nails. Still, here we are. For this challenge I decided to look at Aboriginal art. I remember doing a project on it at school and after a look on google images I refamiliarised myself with the style. The art is comprised of hundreds of tiny dots that make up a larger picture, sometimes of an animal or creature and sometimes as symbols and swirls. This type of art is found on rocks and cave walls mostly in western Australia and often told stories.

 

 For my recreation I used a base of Filthy Gorgeous's red, which was one coat. Red in Aboriginal art symbolises the sand of the desert. I used my black Rio nail art pen to draw the designs and used my white Rio nail art pen to dot over the top. My favourite is the turtle.

This picture shows what some of the symbols mean. (Source: Aboriginal Art Online)



Gemx did some tribal nails too! Here they are:


She says:

"Finally I have painted my nails for the first time in 3 weeks! My apologises for missing a few weeks. I had to go and see my family and there is no internet or mobile connection there. I'm surprised I didn't have withdrawal! So this week was tribal nail art. I've never had a go at this before, it looked too complex and in need of a steady hand for me, but I gave it a go. I used Sinful Colors Tapping Nails which is a gorgeous orange with gold shimmer (given to me by the lovely Leisha, thank you! :D) and a swipe of Mac Soiree which is my favourite rose gold and finally my trusty Topshop black liner pen for the doodling."

Overall this nail art didn't take very long and was fun to do but I don't think I will be doing it again, it was nice to do for the challenge though and it has reawakend my interest in ancient art forms. I might use the dotting technique for something else =)

I hope you enjoyed this weeks nails! Not long until Monday and I promise my next post will be on time! Glitter is next! Woo!

-Lei

No comments: